NYSE Calendar

Events
The Greater New York City Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the CureŽ at the NYSE

09/04/2012

Kicks Off the 22nd Annual Komen Greater New York City Race for the Cure® Held in Central Park on Sunday, September 9th

Komen Greater NYC Grantee of the Year Richmond University Medical Center’s Marion Smith, Komen Greater NYC Acting Executive Director Vern Calhoun and 2012 Komen Greater NYC Grantees Ring the NYSE Closing Bell.

 Watch a live webcast of The Closing Bell at 3:59 p.m. ET on September 4, 2012. The archive will be available shortly after the event.

On Tuesday, September 4, Komen Greater NYC Acting Executive Director Vern  Calhoun and Marion Smith, RN, MS, OCN, Oncology CNS and Program Coordinator at Richmond University Medical Center (recipient of the 2012 Komen Greater NYC Grantee of the Year Award), and nearly a dozen Komen Greater NYC grantees will ring The Closing BellSM at the New York Stock Exchange to mark the 22nd running/walking of the Komen Greater New York City Race for the Cure.  The 5K Race will take place on Sunday, September 9th in Central Park at 9:00 a.m.  Race registration is open at www.komennyc.org.

The Race for the Cure is Komen Greater NYC’s largest single fundraising activity. Last year, the Race had over 21,000 participants, including over 1,600 breast cancer survivors, and raised $6.0 million.

About the Greater New York City Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure
The Greater New York City Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure was founded in 1990 and has raised over $60 million to date.  Komen Greater NYC distributes 75 percent of its net income to fund local community-based breast health education, screening and treatment programs and clinical trials enrollment.  The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research to find the cures.  Our grants program supports essential, life-saving services for underserved residents of New York City, Long Island, Westchester and Rockland Counties.  In 2012, Komen Greater NYC awarded $4.4 million in grants — $3.0 million supporting 36 community-based organizations and three hospitals that provide breast health programs to underserved women and $1.4 million underwriting peer-reviewed research projects at the national level. For more information, visit www.komennyc.org, or call 212-293-CURE.


About Susan G. Komen for the Cure
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer. Today, Susan G. Komen for the Cure® works to end breast cancer in the U.S. and throughout the world through ground-breaking research, community health outreach, advocacy and programs in more than 50 countries. Visit komen.org. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.